Fruits come from the flowers of a plant. They are a plant’s fleshy or dry ripened ovary containing seeds.
A fruit from a single ovary of an individual flower is called a “berry.”
- Fruits generally have a sweet or tart flavor.
- Fruits are mostly eaten raw.
- They are used to make desserts, snacks, or juices.
Examples: Apple, banana, kiwi, orange, peach, pineapple, etc.
Vegetables are the edible parts of the plant, like leaves, stems, roots, bulbs, and tubers.
- Vegetables do not contain seeds.
- Vegetables have a mild and savory flavor.
- Most vegetables need cooking for easy digestion.
Examples: Potato, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, onion, celery, etc.
Differences between Fruits and Vegetables
Here are the primary differences between fruits and vegetables
|Do not contain seeds
|High in natural sugar content and calories
|Low in natural sugar content and calories
|Mostly eaten raw
|Mostly cooked before eating
|Sweet and tart flavor
|Mild and savory flavor. Some are bitter, too.
Many fruits are commonly mistaken for vegetables because of how they are consumed.
Examples: Tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, and eggplant.
Here are some fun facts about fruits and vegetables:
- In 1893, the US Supreme Court ruled that the tomato is a vegetable based on its culinary use even though botanically it is a fruit as it contains seeds.
- Bananas are berries, while blackberries and strawberries are not berries.
- Kiwis contain more Vitamin C than oranges.
- Potatoes were the first vegetable grown in space.
- Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Artichokes are flowers that are consumed as vegetables
Let’s quickly recap what we learned about fruits and vegetables:
- Which part of the plant does a fruit come from? Flower
- Vegetables contain seeds. True or False? False
- What is the main difference between how we consume fruits and vegetables? Fruits are eaten raw, while vegetables are cooked
- What is the main difference between fruits and vegetables regarding nutritional value? Fruits have a higher amount of natural sugar