Plants are found everywhere on Earth. There are different types of plants, like grasses, shrubs, ferns, and trees.
Plants go through a growth cycle just like humans, and they need certain things to help them grow.
Plants are unique as they make their own food, unlike humans, who depend on plants or other animals for food.
Let’s dive in and learn more about plants!
What do plants need to grow?
There are four main factors that help plants grow
- Soil: It provides the nutrients that plants need to grow. It also helps support the plant and keep it firmly in the ground.
- Sunlight: Energy from sunlight helps plants to make their own food.
- Air: Plants use the carbon dioxide from the air to also help them make their own food.
- Water: Plants use water to take in nutrients from the soil.
There are some other factors that help plants grow
- Temperature: Plants grow better in warm daytime or cooler nighttime temperatures.
- Space: They need enough space to grow into their full size.
Plant Life Cycle
There are 4 main stages in the growth of a plant.
- Seed – A seed contains a tiny baby plant called an embryo inside it.
- Germination – With the right amount of water, sunlight, and soil, the seed grows and splits open. The root starts forming down towards the ground.
- Seedling – A seedling is a tiny plant that grows up towards the sunlight.
- Adult Plant – The plant grows big enough to start producing flowers and then fruits. Fruits contain seeds that will start the cycle all over again.
Let’s do a quick review of all the interesting information we learned about plants
- What are the four main factors that help plants to grow? Soil, Air, Water, Sunlight
- What is the first stage in the life cycle of a plant? Seed
- During germination, the leaves come out from the seed. True or False? False – The root comes out first
- What part of the plant produces seeds to continue the life cycle? Fruit